Saturday, March 14, 2009

Gus Van Sants Milk


"My name is Harvey Milk and I'm here to recruit you" Is what he was known to say in the beginning of his speeches. The awards that were given to the film MILK were very much well deserved, 2 Oscars for Best Actor (Sean Penn) and Best Screen Writer (Dustin Lance Black) along with 29 other wins from different Film Academy's. It's disgusting how closed minded people think and act on their emotions towards gay people and there fight for gay rights. I have always grown up with gay males and females and was once called a FAG HAG but I say that with pride. I truly believe my sense of humor comes from my close gay friends from over the years and has made me who I am today. I truly recommend this wonderful film to watch and do admire Gus Van Sant. I am sure if Harvey Milk were alive now he would be so proud of how far gay rights has come.Above is a picture of a Mural by John Baden of Harvey Milk at 575 Castro Street, the former site of Milk's store, Castro Camera. Emerging from the gun at left is a quote from Milk: "If a bullet should enter my brain, let the bullet destroy every closet door."

This film was very very well cast as with every Gus Van Sant film is. If you have never seen a Gus Van Sant film then I highly recommend Elephent(2003) It is set on the day of a massive school shooting. Gus has you follow several charactors of the film hours before the shooting occurs. The 3 Gus Van Sant films that I have loved at a very very ealy age(13) and own has to be My Own Private Idaho, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and To Die For. I have been one whos taste in film has always been questioned and that can be due to the oddness or lack of real taste but that's what I grew up watching(weird,Artsy) and still to this day enjoy. If you ejoy Gus Van Sant films then I also recommend Gregg Araki who directed The Doom Generation, Mysterious Skin, Nowhere and many others that I enjoyed.


No comments:

Post a Comment